Friday, October 9, 2009

So it begins

"More enduringly than any other sport, wrestling teaches self-control and pride. Some have wrestled without great skill - none have wrestled without pride." - Dan Gable

I started wrestling in my Junior year of High School. One of the coaches mentioned it to my parents as a way to improve my conditioning and balance for football. I knew we had a very good program at my high school. The 2 state championship banners hanging in our gym reminded anyone who ever went in there who the best sports team in Richmond was. What I didn't know was was how much work wrestling was, or exactly how much it can engulf your life for the four months or so it goes on. From November to the beginning of March that year, Sunday had a new meaning to me, as it was the only day out of the week I ever saw the sun. Everyday it was up at 6:00 to school, and when school was done, it was practice. I often didn't leave until 7:00 at night. If it was saturday, I was up at the school at 6:00, waiting on a ride to a tournament that might not be over with until 7:00 or 8:00 at night.
Needless to say, I wasn't prepared, and thought about quitting. Thankfully, I started to improve, and not be everyones takedown dummy. Soon I was hooked, I looked forward to wrestling outside of practice, against real competition. After a senior year where we did end up winning states, I was away from wrestling for a while, until I came back to coach the kids at my old high school. Attempting to better understand the sport, I started really following college wrestling, and even started posting some wrestling information on mgoblog.com, in the form of predictions and recaps. I noticed that it was difficult to find information about wrestling on the internet, my main resources were intermat.com and mgoblue.com, and it sometimes took a lot of digging to get all the information to put together a good post.
Sadly, college wrestling has been going through tough times lately, its not a very profitable sport to begin with, and many colleges are closing down their programs. I think a big part of that is that people just don't have the means to get enough information to get interested in it. I'm hoping to change that a little bit for Michigan Wrestling fans, by getting all of the stories together and filtering them through a fan's view. Hopefully this blog will help get interest in Michigan Wrestling up, as it is a great program that deserves great fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment